You can only credit an unpaid invoice. If you want to credit an invoice that has already been paid, you need to unallocate the receipt for that invoice, credit the invoice and then reallocate the receipt to a different invoice. See About Invoice Management and How to Fix Receipting Errors.
- Click Accounting > Credit Note Management. The Credit Note Management screen is displayed.
- Click Create Credit Note. The Credit Note screen is displayed.
- Search, by either account number or name, for the client for whom you want to create a credit note, and click select to open the Credit Note screen for the selected client. The invoices for the relevant client are displayed.
- Click select next to the specific client invoice for which you want to create a credit note. This displays details of the item/s on selected invoice.
- Create the credit note by entering information in the following fields:
- Click in the Date issued field and from the resultant calendar view, select the date on which you want to issue the credit note.
- Enter information in the Info text field. This is supplementary information that is displayed on the credit note. For example you could enter the invoice number and item/s for which the credit note is associated.
- Enter appropriate information in the Comments and Data fields.
- Select a template from the Document drop-down list, default = Invoice Template.
- Complete the credit note using one of the following methods:
- Click Save and Close if you want to create a full credit note for all items displayed on the invoice.
- Click the Delete (trashcan) icon next to the item/s that you do NOT want to include in the credit note and then click Save and Close to create a partial credit note for the included items only.
- Remove all items by clicking the Delete (trashcan) icon next to each item, add a new item for the value of the credit note by completing the Item description and Unit Amount Incl Tax fields, and then click Save and Close to create a credit note to the value of the newly added item.
- View the credit note by clicking Actions > Download Pdf next to the relevant credit note on the Credit Note Management screen, OR email the credit note to the client by clicking Actions > Send next to the relevant credit note.