Billdozer makes it easy to create and send invoices to clients. Once an invoice is created it can be sent either manually or as an automated email notification (see Messaging > Automated Email for details).
Totals at the bottom right of the screen provide the total amount that has been invoiced (on all invoices), as well as the outstanding (o/s) balance, i.e. the amount that has not yet been paid.
You can filter the invoices displayed on this screen by choosing the required option, namely Show All, with outstanding amount, no outstanding amount, sent, unsent or not assigned to a batch.
On the left of these radio buttons you can, at a glance, see how many Unallocated Receipts you have in your system.
Click in the Date Issued From and To fields and select the dates from the respective calendars to determine the invoices you want to display. Click Go to generate a list of all invoices issued within the selected date range.
Billdozer allows you to import invoice line items from your old billing system. Export the invoice line items from your old system as a CSV (Comma Separated Values) file, and then import the .csv file into Billdozer. Click Import Invoice Line Items and follow the instructions provided on the Import Invoice Line Items screen.
By default this screen displays all invoices that have been created for clients. Information is provided under the following headings:
- Actions – Provides various options relating to the management of specific client invoices. Click Select and choose an option from the drop-down list, namely:
- View Invoice – Opens a detailed view of the selected invoice. If the invoice has already been sent, you can only view details of the invoice. If the invoice has not yet been sent, you can still update certain invoice details, as well as the client address that will be displayed on the invoice. See Edit/Delete Invoice below.
- Create Receipt – Allows you to create a receipt for an invoice if a payment (or part payment) has been received. See also Create Receipt. This option is only available for Unpaid invoices.
- Repeat –
- Add/Move to batch – Moves the selected invoice to the selected batch for batch collection.
- Download Pdf – Creates a pdf output of the selected invoice for viewing purposes.
- Email Invoice – Opens an Email invoice dialogue, which allows you to select email recipients, choose an email template, enter comments and upload attachments. Click Email when complete to email the selected invoice, or click Close to exit.
- Clear sent indicator – Allows you to remove the envelope icon in the Emailed column (see below), which indicates that the invoice has been emailed to the client. The invoice must be emailed to the client again before the icon is redisplayed.
- Create Copy – Allows you to make a copy of the selected invoice. You can quickly create a new invoice by making changes to the copied invoice.
- View applied receipts – Allows you to view all documents received that are associated with this invoice, this includes debit notes, credit notes, receipts (for partial payments), and so on.
- History Transactions – Allows you to view all transactions for the selected client.
- Date issued – Shows the date on which the invoice was issued.
- Date due – Shows the due date of the invoice.
- Account – The account number of the invoice.
- Client – The name of the client.
- Emailed – An envelope icon in this column indicates that the invoice has been emailed to the client. Hover your mouse pointer over the icon to view the date on which the invoice was sent.
- Contract – The contract number.
- Batch – Shows the payment collection date of the batch to which the invoice belongs.
- Ref – The reference number of the invoice.
- Info – Additional information entered in the Info field on the invoice to provide supplementary information about the invoice.
- Total – The total of the invoice.
- O/s – The amount still outstanding on the invoice (if applicable).
- Status – The payment status of the invoice, for example:
- Paid – Note that you can’t credit a paid invoice. You must first unallocate the applicable receipt to place the Invoice in the ‘Unpaid’ status. You can then edit the Unpaid Invoice by, for example, deleting it or crediting it. Also note that this leaves you with an unallocated Receipt. See Edit/Delete Invoice below.
Click the ‘Select’ link, and choose the required payment status. The list will be filtered according to your selection, for example if you select ‘Unpaid’, only unpaid invoices will be displayed on this screen.
- Failed Reason – The reason why the invoice failed. Select a reason from the drop-down list if required.
- Billdozer Id – The Billdozer Id is only relevant to clients who interact with Billdozer via Web Services, and is used to update clients. It is automatically generated by Billdozer, and uniquely identifies each client.
Note: Filter the list by column heading to obtain a more streamlined list (see Common Tasks/Filtering Lists for more details).
Note: Invoices can be exported from the Reports/Export > Invoices + Cr notes screen.
Click the Export as (csv) icon if you want to export this invoice list to a format that can be viewed and edited in, for example, Microsoft Excel.
Note: You can only edit invoice details or delete an invoice if:
- you are an administrator or if you have the necessary permissions to edit or delete accounting transactions (see How to Create a User).
- the invoice is not yet sent to the client.
- the invoice is in an ‘UNPAID’ status.
- the invoice is in an OPEN batch (if it is included in a batch)
To return a receipted invoice to the “UNPAID” status, you must first unallocate the receipt. You can then either reallocate or delete the receipt (see How to Fix Receipting Errors).
To edit an invoice:
- Click Select > View Invoice in the Actions column of the invoice that you want to view, edit or delete.
- Edit the details for the line items you want to edit, or click Add Item to add new line items if required.
- If the client address has changed, click the Address button to update the client address on the invoice by synchronizing it with the address details that were updated on the Client Addresses tab on the Client Management/Client Details screen.
- Optionally, check the Send Email check box and enter an email address to send an email to the required recipient.
- Click Save and Close when complete to save the updated invoice details/client address.
To delete an invoice:
Alternatively, to delete an invoice in the “UNPAID” status, click Delete.