All receipt functions are accessed from the Accounting menu. When a receipt is created, it will be allocated to outstanding invoices using either the Open Item (manual) or Balance Forward (automatic) method. This option is configured under biller rules (see Setup – accounting rules).
We refer to Open Item as a manual allocation method because when creating a receipt under this rule, you must specify which invoices the receipt amount is applied to. Automatic allocation means that the receipt amount is applied starting from the oldest invoice that has an outstanding balance, and continue until the amount is depleted.
Debit order collections: If you use a payment collection channel then receipts are generated automatically from the merchant statement. These receipts will always be allocated to the invoices that made up the debit order amount even if the biller rule specifies Balance Forward (see also debit notes and processing of rejected payments).
What happens if I make a mistake?
If after a receipt is created you find that it was allocated incorrectly, you can roll back the allocation. The amounts that were applied to invoices will be adjusted from the outstanding balance of each invoice, the payment status changed to either unpaid or part-paid. You can then use the manual allocation facility to re-allocate, and the same can be used to complete receipts that are unallocated.
Sometimes as in the case of an overpayment, receipts can become partly allocated and these will display on your dashboard (see processing unallocated receipts )
Manual Receipt Allocation (Open item)
Here you can apply payment to one or more invoices, or apply a part payment. To do this:
- Select Accounting→Receipts→Create Receipt
- Select the receipt date issued from the pop-up calendar
- Filter for ‘Account Number’ or ‘Name’ and click select
This opens the ‘receipt’ which lists all the client’s unpaid and unpaid invoices and includes nominals for‘Total’ invoice amount and ‘Balance due’
To allocate the payment receipt:
- Capture required ‘Info’ and ‘Assign to contract’ if required
- From the ‘Bank account’ drop-down box, select required bank for payment collection
- Enter the ‘Receipt amount’ in the open field box
- Click allocate to apply payment to required open invoice(s) – (this toggles between allocate and clear)
- The ‘Allocated’ and ‘Balance due’ amount will adjust and update
- The ‘Total allocated amount’ and the ‘Unallocated’ balance (if any) will be reflected on the receipt
- Click Save and close
NOTE: If a receipt is not fully allocated, you will be prompted with a confirmation request. The unallocated amount will remain reflected against the client account …see Unallocated Receipts.
Automatic Receipt Allocation (Balance forward)
If you create a receipt when you merchant profile is configured for automatic allocation then you will not see a list of outstanding invoices in the receipt dialog. The receipt will automatically be allocated to the oldest invoices first until the receipt amount is fully consumed.
Generating quick receipts saves time, as the payment amount and the client data is automatically populated from the unpaid invoice selected.
To generate a quick receipt:
- Select Accounting→ Invoices
- Filter for ‘Account Number’ or ‘Name’ and press enter
- Select quick receipt from the chosen invoice ‘Actions’ drop-down box
- The receipt is displayed with all data pre-populated, and all unpaid invoices displayed
- Select the allocation date from the receipt’s pop-up calendar
- Click allocate against the required unpaid invoice (if only 1 unpaid invoice, the allocation is automatic)
- Click Save and close
Managing Unallocated Receipts
Unallocated receipting occurs when there has been an overpayment by the client, or when a payment receipt has not been fully allocated to all open items (invoices). For the former, the option is to either offset this amount against a future open item (invoice) or to create a credit note. Where receipts have not been fully matched to open payments. the allocation correction can be made at any time.
- To view all unallocated receipts select Accounting→Receipts
- Check unallocated
- You can also filter for ‘Date Issued’, ‘Account’, ‘Client’, ‘Contract’ or ‘Receipt’
- Each receipt listed will display the total receipt amount and the unallocated portion
- Click ‘View Receipt Icon to open the receipt
- Click Edit
- Click allocate against the invoice (row) to which you will apply the unallocated receipt
- Click Save and Close
To view all allocated and unallocated receipts:
- Select Accounting→Receipts
- And filter for ‘Show all’, ‘Allocated’ and ‘Unallocated’
- Outcomes can also be exported to a CSV file, for further interrogation
To filter for all paid, part paid and unpaid invoices:
- Select Accounting→Invoices
- And filter for ‘Show all’, ‘with outstanding amount’ and ‘no outstanding amount’